The Maltonian Web


Timeline - Malton School

  • 1392 Earliest record of a schoolmaster paid by the Priory
  • 1547 The first Malton Grammar School founded by Robert Holgate, Archbishop of York
  • 1547 School hours were 6 to 11am, 1 to 6 pm in summer; 7-11.30am, 12.30 - 5pm in winter
  • 1830 An elementary school was opened in Malton
  • 1835 The School was moved to Sutton Grange, Norton
  • 1845 The railways reached Malton, making Public Schools more accessible
  • 1858 An elementary school was opened in Norton
  • 1866 The School moved back to Malton (Old Malton).
  • 1868 The School has 21 day boys, and 1 boarder
  • 1904 The School closed
  • 1910 New school built on Middlecave Road
  • 1911 School re-opens, taking 27 boys and 13 girls, on Thursday September 14th. 3 teachers. Designed for 120 pupils
  • 1912 The first issue of The Maltonian published, April 1912
  • 1920 The Old Maltonians Association formed
  • 1921 School population peaked at 160.
  • 1924 Fees were £4 per term, plus 30/- a year for books.
  • 1927 New changing rooms built, with six hot and cold showers
  • 1928 "A serious problem was the library. By 1928 some 2000 books had been accumulated but there was no adequate storage space"
  • 1928 Two new tennis courts laid
  • 1928 The quad was asphalted.
  • 1929 Uniform: girls wore tunics, with summer dresses. For boys uniform remained optional
  • 1932 The fields to the north and west were purchased by the school
  • 1936 New Science laboratory built on the 4th side of the "quad"
  • 1937 Mr Watt dies. Mr Williams takes over as Head teacher
  • 1937 Science Lab opened by Sir William Worsley, 30 September
  • 1937 The inaugural meeting of the Parents Guild
  • 1938 Homework: homework is restricted to four evenings per week, Friday evening and the weekend being left entirely clear
  • 1938 Reports: reports written on the work and conduct of each pupil at the end of each term, and Interim reports when necessary
  • 1940 A school inspection results in "good reports"
  • 1944 The 1944 Education Act means that the School becomes "Voluntary Controlled". Secondary Education for all.
  • 1951 Mr Williams retires. Mr Philip Taylor takes over as Head of Malton Grammar School
  • 1953 "The prefab" erected north of the main building
  • 1958 Malton County Modern was opened.
  • 1958 Assembly Hall/Gym, 2 labs, 3 classrooms, changing rooms, built
  • 1958 The Old assembly Hall becomes the Library
  • 1958 The Old entrance is blocked in to become the secretary's office.
  • 1959 The opening ceremony for Malton County Modern, and the extensions to Malton Grammar, 17 September
  • 1959 A school party visits the French Riviera
  • 1960 4400 books in library. 1806 junior books issued, 2559 senior
  • 1961 A school party visits Hovingham Hall, to see the arrival of the wedding party of Sir William Worsley's daughter and the Duke of Kent.
  • 1963 Norton Secondary Modern School opened
  • 1964 A school party visits Paris, France
  • 1965 CSE exams were introduced nationally
  • 1970 County Modern: A former pupil notes that she was one of 13 pupils in the 5th Year. They had a common room, free periods, occasionally "covered" classes for staff, and had a report written and sent home every two weeks
  • 1971 Malton Grammar and County Modern merge to form a new single Comprehensive School, the buildings becoming East and West Wing.
  • 1971 Mr Taylor dies. Mr John Gresswell is appointed Head of the new school
  • 1989 Mr Gresswell retires. Mr David Roberts is appointed as Head
  • 1996 Two new Science laboratories are opened by the director of the new Central Science Laboratories, Sand Hutton
  • 1997 The Music department moves to the former Youth Annexe.
  • 27 May 1999 The new Art Studios opened by Simon Thackray, in rooms 37 and 39, and joining rooms
  • 16 Feb 2000 The new Library and ICT Room are formally opened by Sir Marcus Worsley, Bart.
  • Sept 04 Malton School becomes a Specialist Science College. A new 4-laboratory Science block is built
  • 2006 Mr Roberts retires. Mr Robert Williams is appointed Head
  • Feb 2011 The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, opens the Malton Community Sports Centre on the school field.