The Maltonian Web


OLD MALTONIANS ASSOCIATION

THE ASSOCIATION of past pupils and staff of the Malton Grammar School was founded by Mr. Ernest L. Watt in 1918.

ITS AIMS AND OBJECTS were:

  1. To form a bond between the members and the School through the media of Re-unions and the Association's magazine"The Maltonian."
  2. To promote or assist in any activities conducive to extending the interests and influence of the School.
  3. To promote and administer such sectional activities as may be desired by bodies of the members.

(from an OMA handbook)

The Maltonian magazines always had pages dedicated to the OMA, relating news of former pupils. These were very significant during the second world war, when communication home from all over the world was highly valued.

The association continued until 1973, when it was wound up, partly due to small numbers attending meetings, but more probably due to the changed status of the school in 1971 and the sense that it belonged to the Grammar School, not Malton School. Mr Gresswell had the task of uniting the two schools as one organisation: "Unitate Fortiores".

Brenda Beal (Brenda Holmes) wrote some notes on the OMA in August 2002.

 

 

OMA documents

A few documents survive:

OMA Handbook - probably 1947

Christmas / New Year Dinner Dance programmes

1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970

Dinner dance tickets
OMA blazer and badge

We also had an Old Maltonians blazer donated in 2004 by Derek Searle, which belonged to his father William Henry Searle.