The Maltonian Web


Malton Grammar School badge 1963
SCHOOL BADGE 1963

THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL MALTON

A 20-page prospectus, published circa 1963

A MESSAGE FROM THE HEADMASTER

This brochure is sent to you both as a gesture of welcome and as evidence of an opportunity to be grasped. Your child is now entering on a decisive stage of its life. It has passed a test which shows that it is particularly fitted to benefit from a Grammar School education. It is true to say that those who use this opportunity well are the happiest people in the world, for in addition to all the other gifts that life has to offer they have the inestimable treasures of the intellect to enjoy.

We ask you to ensure that your child uses this chance to the full. In this way you will be proud of your child; and your child will have pride in and affection for this School.

THE SCHOOL 1963-64.
NORTH RIDING COUNTY COUNCIL:

Secretary for Education: F. BARRACLOUGH, ESQ.

THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS:
  • *SIR WILLIAM A. `WORSLEY, BART.
    Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding, Chairman
  • *SIR SAMUEL STOREY, BART., M.P., Vice-Chairman
  • *MAJOR R. J. L. JACKSON, O.B.E., Chairman of the Secondary Education Sub-Committee, North Riding Education Committee
  • *LADY WORSLEY
  • *W. M. J. WORSLEY, ESQ., M.P.
  • *THE RT. HON. LORD MIDDLETON, M.C.
  • *MISS CHRISTIAN HOWARD
  • *MISS J. N. HOWARD-VYSE
  • LT.-COL. L. S. STARKEY
  • *WM. APPLETON, ESQ.
  • *F. W. LOBLEY, ESQ.
  • *CANON E. C. HUDSON
  • *W. H. TRICKETT, ESQ., M.Sc.
  • *THE REVEREND T. C. TEAPE-FUGARD
  • *MRS. G. L. DIMMEY
  • *A. S. HARE, ESQ.
  • *MRS. A. TATE-SMITH
  • MRS. E. W. WRIGLEY
  • *E. HORSLEY, ESQ.
  • *THE REVEREND L. S. RIVETT
  • *THE REVEREND R. C. TREASURE

* Denotes also Endowment Governor

FURTHER ENDOWMENT GOVERNORS:
  • F. S. H. WARD, ESQ.
  • MAJOR R. McCLINTOCK
HON. CLERK TO THE GOVERNORS:
  • T. C. GOULDSMITH, ESQ.
THE STAFF
  • Headmaster: P. T. TAYLOR, M.A. (Cantab)
  • Deputy Headmaster: B. R. ROLLS, B.A.
  • Senior Mistress: Miss R. SIMPSON
  • Miss G. R. BLAKE, L.T.C.L.
  • R. BOWER, B.A.
  • H. G. BRATT, B.A.
  • Miss M. B. CLARKE
  • J. B. GREAVES, B.Sc.
  • L. W. LAWLEY, A.T.D.
  • E. R. LUCAS, B.A.
  • V. A. MARTINDALE, D.L.C.
  • P. G. MASON, B.Sc.
  • D. J. PAY
  • J. F. REED, B.Sc.
  • Miss P. THACKRAH
  • P. R. WELLARD, B.A.
  • H. L. WHITELEY
  • MRS. E. N. H. WILLIAMS, B.A.
  • School Secretary: MRS. N. L. EMMERSON
  • Science Laboratories Steward: Miss B. A. HOLMES
  • School Caretaker: MR. A. DOWDING
  • School Gardener: MR. H. CALAM
  • Cook Superintendent: MRS. K. BOYES
THE SCHOOL'S HISTORY

The 'Corporation of the Masters of the Free Grammar School of Robert Holgate in Old Malton' was founded in 1547. The School and its sister foundations were endowed with lands at Old Malton and elsewhere by the same Archbishop Holgate.

This old school remained in existence until just before the beginning of the present century. In 1902 a new scheme for the government of the school was drawn up by the Charity Commissioners, and this was amended in 1910 to provide for the erection of buildings in Middlecave Road and for the administration by a Board of Governors to be appointed by: -

  • The Archbishop of York.
  • The Lord of the Manor of Old Malton.
  • The Dean and Chapter of York.
  • The North Riding County Council.
  • The Archdeacon of Cleveland.
  • The East Riding County Council.
  • The Council of the Yorkshire
  • The Malton Urban District Council.
  • The Norton Urban District Council.
  • The College at Leeds (now Leeds University)
Since then seats on the Governing Board have been allotted also to the Malton and Norton Rural District Councils, while two Governors sit as Foundation Governors.

The School is now a "Voluntary Controlled" School administered by the North Riding County Council; but part of the cost of administration is borne by the East Riding County Council, whose scholars form one half of our numbers. The School still enjoys an income from a portion of the original Endowments and this income is able to be used directly for the benefit of the School in ways recommended by a Board of Endowment Governors. It has in fact met the cost of this brochure you are now reading. The present school is therefore in some sense the factual as well as the spiritual successor of the original Holgate Foundation.

The new school was opened in 1911, with Mr. Ernest L. Watt, M.A., LL.B., as its Headmaster. On his death in 1937 he was succeeded by Mr. Thomas A. Williams, M.Sc. Mr. Williams retired in 1951 and the present Headmaster is Mr. Philip T. Taylor, M.A. The School has been co-educational since its revival in 1911. The two previous Headmasters considered this to be a vital feature of the School and the present Headmaster fully upholds this view, believing that the companionship of the sexes in adolescence in a co-operative enterprise produces a mental and emotional balance which will be invaluable in adult life.

 
Malton Grammar School Class room
THE NEW EXTENSION (1959)
THE SCHOOL BUILDINGS

The first of the present buildings date from 1911, but it was extensions in 1937 that gave the School a fairly full range of specialist rooms. Since then, additions in 1954 and 1959 have brought our buildings, equipment and amenities to standards which can compare favourably with those of almost any other school of this type. In 1954 a large prefabricated building was erected to the north of the School. This building, at first used as three separate classrooms, now forms a spacious Art and Crafts block. In 1959 the North Riding Education Committee resolved to implement a policy which had been implicit in 1911 but which lack of buildings had hitherto frustrated, namely that half of the pupils (as against one third up to that date) should be from the East Riding. This decision meant that the School would have to change from a One-Form to a Two-Form Entry School and that the numbers would rise from the previous one hundred and ninety to about three hundred. To meet this need, extensions were built which almost doubled the floorspace of the School, adding to it an Assembly Hall/Gymnasium, two Laboratories, three Classrooms and two Changing Rooms, and replacing with fine new premises the Kitchen, Dining Room, Staff Rooms and Woodwork Room. The old single Laboratory was refitted as a Biology Laboratory, while the old Assembly Hall became a particularly handsome Library. All the rooms, new and old, are light and airy and are enhanced by carefully chosen colour-schemes. Amongst the appointments of the School mention should be made of a system of synchronised electric clocks, part of the memorial tribute to Mr. E. L. Watt, and of a Television Set, the anonymous gift of a friend of the School. The situation of the School is particularly attractive. It is in the highest part of the town, on the first spur of the Howardian Hills. It is surrounded by its own garden and playing fields, much of the latter having been bought in 1934 as the result of efforts by the School and Old Scholars to mark the twenty-first birthday of the School's re-foundation. Beyond the playing field the whole Vale of Pickering can be seen. The total area of the site is eight acres.

THE SCHOOL BADGE

The Badge of the present School was at first the White Rose of Yorkshire on a blue ground, with the letters M.G.S. added. In 1955 it was decided to replace the existing badge by one more representative of the School's past history and therefore more likely to arouse in the scholars both consciousness of that history and pride in the School. A description of the badge is given here in non-heraldic language. In the first quarter is shown an Archbishop's Mitre in gold on a black ground, to remind us that we are the heirs of the old Archbishop Holgate Grammar School founded in Old Malton in 1547. The second quarter is the School's old badge and shows the White Rose of Yorkshire on a blue ground. For many Old Scholars this was the School Badge and it is desired that it should not entirely disappear. The third quarter holds the arms of the Worsley family, white with the upper part or "chief" red. No single connection with the School has brought more to it in help and interest than that of the Worsleys. The present holder of the title, Sir William A. Worsley, Bart., Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding, is our Chairman of Governors, as was his father before him. Lady Worsley also is a Governor. We hope that the association may never be broken. In the fourth quarter is found the gold chevron between three leopards' heads on black which forms the second and fourth quarters of the Fitzwilliam arms. We owe the gift of the land on which the present school is built to the Fitzwilliam family and their benefactions to the Malton district are well known.

The quarters are not meant to convey an order of precedence, except for the first.

The motto beneath the shield is the one which Mr. Watt, the first Headmaster of the present school, wished our school to have. Its meaning, " Hear the other man's point of view," expresses the tolerance and impartiality which he believed to be marks of a truly educated person.

THE CURRICULUM AND ITS AIMS

The subjects taught are: Religious Knowledge, English Language and Literature, History, Geography, French, German, Latin, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Botany, Zoology, General Science, Art and Crafts, Music, Woodwork, Domestic Science and Games. The Games played are Association Football, Cricket, Basketball, Hockey, Netball and Tennis. Cross-country Running and Athletics are also practised and the Prefects have facilities for playing Badminton.

The aims of the teaching are fourfold: -

  1. (1) To give the pupils a first broad view of the field of human knowledge and to ensure that they come to understand what is meant by ' culture ' and are helped towards acquiring it.
  2. (2) To help them to realise what their responsibilities will be as adult citizens.
  3. (3) To fit them for useful and happy careers of a kind that will make use of their special aptitudes.
  4. (4) To assist parents in the task which will already have been begun of developing in the child sound moral and ethical principles.
SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS AND REPORTS

School Examinations are held twice yearly and parents receive a Report on their child's progress soon after each examination. These Reports are written in a Report Book of which great care should be taken, since it is generally asked for by prospective employers. In case of loss, however, a duplicate set of Reports is kept at School. For their external examinations pupils are entered for the General Certificate of Education of the Northern Universities Joint Matriculation Board. The Ordinary Level Certificate is normally taken at the end of the fifth year. Parents should understand clearly that entry for the Examination is not automatic; the pupil is entered only for subjects in which he has worked well and is believed to have a reasonable chance of passing. Selected pupils are encouraged to go on to more advanced work leading to the Advanced Level of the General Certificate of Education. This matter is explained more fully in the following section, entitled the " Sixth Form." More