The Maltonian Web


The Maltonian Web Gallery - The Old Grammar School

This page has pictures of the Old Grammar School on Town Street, Old Malton. The first two are original watercolours from the 1830s by local painter George Nicholson. Others are more recent - the building is now a private house, owned by The Crofts.

A note from the Leeds University Library archives, posted by Revd Purvis, on the end of the building's time as a school:

For the Free Grammar School, founded by Robert Halgate alias Holgate, Archbishop of York, by deed dated 4 May 1547, under Letters Patent dated 24 October 1546, see schools founded by Archbishop Holgate. The school is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 14 February 1902.

Under the authority of an order of the Board of Education 14 June 1906 the site and buildings of the old school and the master's house and premises adjoining the churchyard of the former priory church were sold, together with 2 a. 3 r. 11 p. of arable land abutting on Eden House Road, for £860. Out of the proceeds of the sale, and borrowed money, new school buildings have been erected in Middlecave Road. The school is carried on by a scheme under the Endowed Schools Acts, and under a further order dated 10 January 1910, as a mixed secondary school, approved and inspected by the Board of Education, with financial aid from the local authorities. Certain rent-charges also constitute the endowment. (From: 'Parishes: Old Malton', A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1 (1914))